Bakerboy From Lyon

30/12/2013

Burger Bun Bonanza


So we had that big order for mini burger buns...20g pieces. What a pain in the ass.
Alexandre and I started at 1am so by the time Benjamin came in at 2 we were almost done with everything. I was on mixing the dough and in between shaping and dividing dough. Day was going pretty good for most of the day but Benjamin is just unreliable...he had to mix some dough’s and didn’t know base temperatures or mixing times etc. and was asking Izam who is an apprentice stagiare. We had another stagiare today, only for 2 weeks, a 15 year old kid named Nicolas.

Interestingly these stages are organised in conjunction with schools and all kids do them. I think it’s a great idea as I never forget my 1 week job shadowing at the Mount Nelson.
Although the kid lacked initiative and interest. And when he asked to take a break and was told he could have 1 hour he said it was too short. I almost flipped when I heard that. Wtf is he doing here? It’s only 7 hours. Maybe I’m too hard but I am a firm believer in hard work and that you don’t get anywhere by sitting in the back seat, but whatever.

A former stagiare visited as well, Indra, a 25 year old Mexican who just recently acquired French nationality. He’s been studying and working in France for about 7 years now. He told me it was always a dream of his to become a chef so he actually studied at institute Paul Bocuse as well and knows chef Berthomier. He’s a really cool guy and he, Alexandre and I went for a beer and burger at Ninkasi just next to the bakery.

We had a good time talking about mentalities in the industry and the f***ed up legal system in France. I found out that if you catch an employee stealing something you can’t just fire them...wtf. All the laws really f*** the small business owner. Like our cleaning lady who has claimed sick and hasn’t been to work for over a month but is still getting paid. And Alexandre can’t fire her either... seems that if you’re stuck with a shit employee there’s nothing you can do.

I prefer coming in an hour earlier...much nicer and it reminds me of coming in 2 hours before all the other staff...just much smoother knocking everything else out. So Alexandre and I are starting at 1 tomorrow so I’m gonna be off....

No comments:

Post a Comment