Bakerboy From Lyon

28/09/2013

A night on the town…


I stayed in during the day today but in the evening some of Fatiha's friends came over for a drink. One guy was already pretty much on his way but he was pretty entertaining. He was also very erratic in his thoughts and reminded me of an old customer from the bakery and even looked like a younger version of him.
As an “apero” we had some pasties, which you have with cold water, turning it an opaque white. I don’t know what causes this reaction though. Anyway so off we went, but I didn’t have any formal shoes and we weren’t sure what the dress code was so we had to get some shoes from Stephan’s place. (He was the hammered guy). It’s pretty close to the metro here, so we got a pair for me and him (we’re both EU size 43). At his place he had a cute little kitten that was very playful and he had a huge vine growing from his kitchen into all the adjoining rooms.
Ok, so we drove to Villeurbanne to the club and it was the grand opening of the club so they had some free tapas in the form of, melon pieces, crudités and tzatziki, croutes avec babaganoush (awesome stuff, with loads of caramelised garlic), tapenade (I could taste they used anchovies so they weren’t playing around here either) and aioli. Onion rings and little fish balls (no idea what it is in French).
Initially there were mainly late 30’s to 50’s people there and a few mid 20’s but later more mid 20’s came in. It was shitty weather so not many people pitched. Oh another thing, in Europe, people only start going out from 11pm and usually stay out till about 5/6. They were playing some Latin music which I cannot dance to to save my life but I thought what the hell and just went with it. After a bit they started playing a bit of hip hop and then I was like “ah yeah, that’s my shit right there!!” you know how I do...if there’s bass, I’m dancing to it.


Around 1am we went to Bellecour, along the river Rhone to where all the boats are moored which are actually pubs/clubs. There is Ayers Rock which is the huge restaurant/discotheque but then there are also a string of tug boats which have a really warm cosy vibe, almost like Rafikis, but on a boat and it was crammed with people, nice music and decent drinks.
One thing that really stood out for me was that in the bar they had these huge round jugs suspended from the roof by ropes that contained infused rums. They had a ginger one, lemon and orange, coconut and clove I think...the ambiance was really cool. The playlist was like shack in the sense that the barmen just play classics that everyone knows and/or loves.

We left around 3:30 am as everyone was tired. Fatiha and Stephan wanted to walk home coz they’re both crazy: p but me and formal shoes don’t mix so I decided to ride Franco and Christine. Stephan insisted that I kept the shoes though, saying it was a present and that he could if he wanted to so I couldn’t refuse him as I didn’t want to be rude so I scored a pair of black formals after a pretty decent evening.
Not too shabby eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment