Bakerboy From Lyon

26/09/2013

Brother from Berlin…


Today was pretty average, I didn’t do much most of the morning and then around 10am I started walking from Croix Rousse to Bellecour which is really quick walk taking maybe about 15 min. Even though Croix Rousse is on a hill, there are some stairs that lead all the way down so it’s very easy to find your way to the city centre.
Just horsin' around...

I met Nicholas at the metro station in hotel de Ville and we walked back to Croix Rousse, stopping close to home to get some things for lunch (pizza) and some stuff for breakfast. Here I haven’t seen any sliced streaky bacon or back bacon anywhere, only stuff like whole pancetta or coppa. The closest thing you find is bacon lardons in the supermarkets which tastes like streaky bacon but obviously just in another shape. Some eggs, milk for my protein shake and some tonic for the gin (lekker papa!!!!) (Just what the doctor ordered!!!!)
A short while after we got home Fatiha gave me a call...she needed help carrying some canvases. She hadn’t thought about how she was going to carry them home from the bus stop so I had to help her...she’s a very cool person and a bit absent minded or “Loskop” as we say but she makes staying here interesting. She has a good sense of humour and a good spirit.
We just chilled for most of the day and watched some stand up comedy and then later we went out to eat at a local brasserie called “brasserie de l’ecole”. Nice little place, very accessible and varied menu. I had a perrache to drink which is like a radler (beer and lemonade) and Nicholas had un carafe d’eau (tap water ha-ha). As with most places you can order a la carte or you can have an entree+ main/salad or main/salad + dessert/cheese for much cheaper than the individual prices; which means it’s cheaper to have at least a 2 course meal.
I had a small Lyonnais salad which is a leaf salad with some tomato, croutons, bacon lardons and a poached egg. I had seen this a few times walking around and it looked pretty good and it tasted good too. I mean, a poached egg and bacon...all that was missing was the hollandaise sauce!! For main, we both had the confit carnard traditional which was a confit duck leg, pomme dauphinoise (slices of potato cooked in cream, cream and more cream), green beans cooked with some garlic and a roast tomato. It looked like less before I started but I just about managed to finish it...man it was so good. Just what I needed. Nic then had a crème brulee for dessert which was delicious, very light and not as heavy as they usually are with a thin crisp crust of caramelise sugar.

Our bill came to 33.5Euros with our food being 15.50 each and my perrache 2.5. We then headed back and walked to a viewing point about 2 min walk form the brasserie where you could see most of Lyon. As we got back it started to rain so we made it just in time. We just did our own thing for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment