Bakerboy From Lyon

25/09/2013

Lost in Lyon...day 13

It seems that even when I’m not working and I’m exhausted, I can’t sleep more than 6 hours. I went to sleep at 2am and still woke up at 8... Did a whole lot of journal entries that I hadn’t done in the week as I was too tired. Then around 1pm I left to meet up with some students from Institut Paul Bocuse.
What a freakin’ mission. Fatiha told me to walk as it would be faster but I got sooo..... lost  I walked my ass off...like across the one river, eventually after walking a distance to find a place where I could cross, then once I had done that I had to mission to Vieux Lyon but I headed in the wrong direction and ended up walking up the hill to the cathedral and then I was like ‘nah’, this isn’t right so asked a guy for directions and he said for 2 euros he’d show me where to go...so I was like f*&#!... it  I’ve walked for like 40 min already, just do it. He didn’t speak English so I had to communicate in my broken Neanderthal French.

Eventually we got to the bistro...it was called le terme (can’t remember) jaune which means something yellow. That explained all the yellow serviettes and tablecloths and awnings. We had to order straight away as it was almost 3pm and in France the restaurants in the busy/tourist areas mostly have 2 services which is really weird.
I ordered a salad which was boiled potatoes, dressed salad leaves and some smooth cottage cheese thing. It was ok. For the others, Carolina from brazil had a salad Lyonnais which is leaves, bacon, croutons and a poached egg, Kris from Singapore had a pork terrine (I tasted a small piece and tasted liver and was like no ways), Spencer also from Singapore had a brioche with some sausage in the middle, Jennifer from the States had the same salad as me and Nicholas, another Singaporean had the onion soup but it tasted really shit. The consistency wasn’t good and it wasn’t seasoned nicely or even really tasted like onions and had a powdery texture. Needless to say he didn’t finish it.
For mains I had some steak with a Roquefort sauce and a potato gratin and a beef tomato, stuffed with other veggies and roasted. I ordered MR and it was so chewy it was either a shit cut of meat (I honestly couldn’t identify what cut it was as it was so sinewy and chewy) or the chef didn’t cook it properly as the connective tissue hadn’t broken down enough. First time vie never finished a steak...and even if they gave me a steak knife, which they didn’t I still wouldn’t have been able to eat it. Jen and Carolina had what looked like a slice of cooked ham with chips, Spencer had the tartare which looked so finely minced to me that it was like pulp, Kris had lemon chicken with rice (the 3 Singapore guys were saying something about the rice) and Nicholas had something “Caesar” which was like a tartare, except it was mixed with some Worcestershire sauce and sealed on the outside. It tasted ok.
For desserts, half of us had mousse au chocolat which was pretty good and the saving grace of a pretty bad-mediocre meal and the other half had tarte praline (made with the Lyonnais praline, had a similar taste and texture of fudge) but the pastry base was almost as thick as the filling.
The meal cost me 19.5Euros which is ok as most places offer a set menu for around 18-26 euros and it’s a choice of starters, mains and dessert/cheese.


Afterwards we walked around a bit and I bought some awesome grapefruit sorbet...I love grapefruit ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment