Bakerboy From Lyon

21/10/2013

Good Food, Great Wine, Gracious Friends


Today was a pretty good day. Started helping Benjamin with the shaping of the pate Blanche and then was with Alexandre at the “fournil” (fournil is the area near the oven, four is oven in French), helping load the breads. Pretty solid with my scoring and baking...it’s just a bit intense when you’re controlling 5x2 separate batches and rotating the dough that’s proving so it’s not proving too slowly/too quickly. My French is also pretty good so in the mornings I serve the customers while imp baking if they want a baguette or croissant and I can understand them as long as they don’t talk super-fast.

After the morning baking was done around 10am I went to help Alexandre and chef with some canapés. There was an order for the chambre des meitiers de meilleur ouvrier de France( MOF ) as well as some other orders so we were pretty busy with them. We made some burgers like last time and some new canapés like foie mousse in jambon cru with black fig, cream cheese with chives, parsley mayo and tuna mayo in a hollowed out cherry tomato as well as smoked salmon filled with asparagus puree and garnished with an asparagus tip... I got changed after it was all done but then got invited to have a glass of wine with “le patron” and Alexandre so I was like ok J had a jambon beurre sandwich with that and then an opera cake
Opera Cake
for dessert...mmm like a crispy biscuit base with crisped rice in it, pralinee (here, praline is the red stuff with almonds, they call the hazelnut paste “pralinee” and chocolate mousse.. I ended up helping chef glaze the canapés even though I had changed... it’s just not natural for me to see my boss working if I’m not.
Canapes

I know my French is improving if I can understand most of what Mr Pozzoli says and actually joke with him J but after a while the wine started to kick my ass so I decided to go home.
I planned to only sleep for a few hours as I had been invited to dinner at Alex’s place with friends but ended up oversleeping and only waking up around 19h00 (when I was supposed to meet) so was over an hour late but it was all good in the end as the food wasn’t ready on time.
He stays in Grange Blanche, which is close to Monplaisir (near the Lumiere Institute). The area has most of Lyon’s hospitals and lots of schools so there are loads of students staying in the area. So for dinner it was Alex, his housemate Hugo (a former Maison Pozzoli employee), Pierre (the baker who works in the afternoon), jean (a baker from the vaise branch) and Laura (his American fiancée).
Tartiflette
For dinner we had tartiflette which is a dish made with potatoes, lardons and a cheese that I forgot the name now but it’s like a lasagne vibe with potato, bacon and cheese. YES PLEASE!!! Soooo damn good. We had that with some dressed salad leaves and some bread and a beautiful 2008 chardonnay that was utterly sublime. Probably the best wine I’ve had here. Soft, deep flavours, beautiful golden hue and not to sharp alcohol. I love how here in France you always have bread and bottles of water with every meal. It’s definitely something I want to continue when I come back to South Africa.
Afterwards we had a tarte pomme fin which was a pate brisee base with sliced apples that gets brushed with melted butter and baked with sprinkled sugar...with some glacé pralineé that Alex made as well as some chocolate and peanut butter chip cookies and oat and orange juices soaked raisin cookies that Laura made with a really good red wine. Can’t remember what. 
Wine Fridge...these guys mean business !
Soft, deep flavours, beautiful golden hue and not to sharp alcohol. I love how here in France you always have bread and bottles of water with every meal. It’s definitely something I want to continue when I come back to South Africa.
Tarte Pomme Fin
Afterwards we had a tarte pomme fin which was a pate brisee base with sliced apples that gets brushed with melted butter and baked with sprinkled sugar...with some glacé pralineé that Alex made as well as some chocolate and peanut butter chip cookies and oat and orange juices soaked raisin cookies that Laura made with a really good red wine. Can’t remember what.

Alex and Hugo have a really cool apartment...and I noticed some GTO comics too J seems like anime is quite popular in France. Only got home around 23:00 so had under 2 hours to sleep but I had a great evening so I didn’t mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment