Bakerboy From Lyon

03/10/2013

Laundry



Today was normal, divided the baguettes with Alexandre and then prepared some stuff to be baked for viennoisserie. They prepare most viennoisserie a few days before like the croissants, quiches, chaussons and tarts (the croissants are done the day before) but it’s all frozen when its prepped and then they bake it just from frozen. For the quiches and chaussons they cook them for 45min at 160C and this way the pastry is cooked and isn’t soggy. It’s interesting because I’ve never seen things done that way before but it saves a lot of time, only thing is you need freezer and fridge space for all the shelves of your prepped stuff.




I then shaped the baguettes in the machine and afterwards I shaped the flutes. I used one of the manually operated dividers to divide the various pain aromatiques and after preshaping most into boules we did the final shaping. Each has a different shape or score and there are some cool cutters to make a visual difference. I can’t remember what all the different flavours were as there were about 10 or so and some were similar. These all get precooked and frozen once cool and 2 of each are baked in the morning for the “magasin” (shop).
I didn’t sleep very well last night so I was a bit mentally slow or “tête dans le cul” (head in the ass)...I’ve started from today though to sleep for a bit when I get home after work as its difficult to go to sleep until after 10 as at 7 or 8 its still light and quite hot.




We finished early with the bread so we prepped for the next day, I made the kamut, spelt and rye poolish...the normal T65 flour costs around 80Eurocents/kg, the cheaper flour for working with 45c/kg, the farine biologique (organic, no pesticides, additives, chemicals etc.) around 1.15/kg but kamut comes in at a whopping 3.45 Euros/kg (R45/kg...eureka flour works out to about R8/kg)

I cleaned out les chambres de fermentation and after that Alexandre and I took out the glass windows from the oven to clean. Mr Pozzoli was in the wash-up (la plonge) cleaning the sink and cleaned the windows himself. He’s definitely the kind of person that I can respect and look up to. Leading by example, doing prep and production as well as cleaning. Many people get egos when they rise and think some things are beneath them, but I’m a firm believer in a little humility going a long way. Reminds me of working with George Jardine. If he had to ask me to clean anything now I wouldn’t say no. If the chef is doing it, why wouldn’t you?
After putting the windows back in I got to have a bottle of that beautiful Badoit water with the fine carbonation...that stuff is like the champagne of water for me. It’s not aggressive and harsh on your palate but almost smooth.

There were some burgers left over as well as mille feuilles (lit means thousand leaves, stemming from the puff pastry usage) with crème pat mmmmm and a tarte chocolat...sadly I have a limited capacity for sweet things but they were good.

After work I missioned home and passed out. I found out that to fix just the little door on the washing machine, along with the call out fee and tax (in France, all the taxes are crazy high) will come to around 100Euros...fml. Oh well, c’est la vie.  Merde survenir.



No comments:

Post a Comment