Bakerboy From Lyon

08/10/2013

Samoosas & Escargot


Today was pretty standard and we knocked out things pretty quickly and naturally le sac a merde claimed it was because of him.

But today was special in that Mr Pozzoli as well as 3 other MOF bakers were prepping today for the “mondial du pain” which is going to be held in St Etienne on the weekend. I got to help with some of the prep, namely help roll samoosas....at first I thought they were saying “ca mousse” as in “that mousse” but it was really samoosas! Chef made some beef mince with peas and boiled potatoes...reminded me of mom’s savoury mince. We had to do about 260 of those at 10g of filling so it took a LOOOONG time.
Samoosa Factory

They also prepped some courgette chunks hollowed out with a parissiene scoop and blanched and then stuffed with a fricassee of mince, red peppers and onions cooked in cream.
Escargot cooked in pureed garlic and cubed potato and deglazed with Pastis and mixed with loads of fresh herbs, served inside 2 triangles of pate feulletage (similar to puff pastry) kinda like a sandwich.
Minced rabbit, liver and pork that were made into little pies with pate feulletage as well.

Side of salmon en croute (salmon covered in pate feulltage and decorated)

Cake aux pieds porc (a savoury cake with pork trotters, just the meat) and chopped up pig nose and ears as well for some crunch as well as gruyere and herbs.

Terrine of seared foie gras and red figs.
 foie gras

I only left work at 18:00 so I was at work for 16 hours but I had a fun time talking with the chefs and joking about and we had a sandwich and a beer later as well, but when I got home I was so exhausted I just collapsed and passed out.

Ah my scoring (lamé) was really good today. While I was scoring I could just feel like it was good. I had a nice angle and incline, length of score, depth and spacing as well. That really made my day to see it come out so well.

Chef said that the next mondial du pain is in 2 years and then I should compete with a team from SA...who knows, we’ll have to see but I think it would be an awesome thing to do.




No comments:

Post a Comment