Bakerboy From Lyon

01/10/2013

Rough day at the office


Today was my second day at Maisson Pozzoli and I started at 2am, along with Alex and Alexandre. I got to work 30min early so I just sat outside and waited in front of the door. The city is really peaceful but even in the middle of the night it’s not as dark as it is in SA, that’s not including the street lights, the sky itself is really light.
Alex arrived first and we went in, he switched on the oven and the lights and we were greeted by the 2 cats that always seem to be in a playful mood. After we got changed, Alex and I had some leftover viennoise from the previous day for breakys. I just had a roulade with crème pat and pralines and Alex had a pain viennoise au chocolat and a bowl of milk that was almost 1 litre worth...when I asked him about that he said his father is a farmer, specifically cows so that’s what he has for breakfast. I love milk but that’s overkill J
We started by taking out all the dough out the chambre de fermentation and I started dividing that and preshaping it (mise en forme) to be rolled into baguettes. They don’t preshape it into balls because it ends up manipulating the gluten more so it’s more difficult to shape afterwards. Alexandre had come in by this time and was preshaping with me while Alex continued with shaping the brioche into the tresse, boules and navettes.
Alex showed me how to preshape using 2 hands which is not as easy as it sounds. I’m used to doing preshaping of small balls with my hands, but with a piece of dough around 300g it’s not as easy since I have to concentrate more on applying equal force in my left hand and also I have small hands so it’s difficult to keep it all in my hand (I guess it’s true when they say that anything more than a handful is a waste ha-ha). I kinda have it now but I can’t do it as fast as Alex and Alexandre... it’s difficult working with a wetter, softer dough as I seem to need more flour than the others but I guess it’s just practise as I know that with some doughs I have no problem using minimal flour, it just depends if you’re used to the dough or not.
Once the pieces of dough are preshaped they get put into a machine which has these sleeves which are on a sort of conveyor belt so as you fill up a sleeve you rotate them like a rotisserie almost and put the next set in the following sleeve. My back also started to get sore as I’m not used to the height of tables. Anyone who’s worked in a kitchen will know what I’m talking about. You get used to a height on a section and if you move to another where it’s not the same height you feel it. Will probably take a week to get used to it.
I preshaped the charontais which are the big loaves weighing about 1kg and about 70cm long. The flutes and the sandwich baguettes. I was so tired from the previous day that today just seemed really long and the shop also wasn’t as busy because Alexandre told me it was the first day of school so most parents would be with the kids and it only might be busier later that day.
old water pump

cave cellar

charontais

cochonnes avant cuisson

cochon_fin

pain veinnoise au chocolat et orange

pain viennoise au chocolat, coupe polka
I shaped the kamut and epautre (spelt) and also did the ciabatta... the ciabatta they make here has oil in it but like almost all of the doughs here, they mix for longer, about 10-15min.
After we were done with the bread we helped making the “cochon” which are little pigs made out of a Swiss meringue (a normal meringue is just egg whites and sugar, a Swiss meringue is when the mix is whipped over a flame so that its between 60-80 degrees and an Italian is when a sugar syrup at 117 degrees is added in while the whites are being whipped. It has a texture like a liquid marshmallow at this point. Some red food colouring powder is added as a liquid would make the mix sink down. It’s then piped and the ears are added with a flat tip and some white meringue is used for the eyes and a mix of egg whites and cacao powder is used for the nose and pupils. Its then cooked at 100 degrees and left overnight in the oven.
After work I walked home and then chatted with Marie for a while. She stayed last night and tonight at Fatihas place. She’s a business student from Sweden and we chatted for quite a while about differences in Europe and SA and funnily enough about gender equality, racism and tolerance...

Working the strange hours at the bakery means when I go home it’s at the height of the day but I’m so knackered I just eat and then pass the f*** out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment